Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Outer Banks - all of the new construction

There's not much to say about most of these houses because they're just plain ugly. They do not fit in with the character of the area - they have no sense of place. They could be from anywhere, nothing about them says "Outer Banks" the way a Nags Head cottage does. They are also ridiculously expensive because they're so large and a lot of them have upscale appliances and finishes - which is exactly what I do not want in a beach house, personally. Give me a beach shack any day!




Have fun boarding up those windows for a hurricane...


There's too much to pick at with this house, so I'm going to keep it simple. Look at that lawn. Really, at the beach?  It's supposed to sandy and full of prickly spur things and cacti.


While this isn't as large and tacky as some of the others, it's still not pretty.



I have to end my rant on a good note, which includes this new construction below. The design is nice and simple and reminiscent of the vernacular style. My only complaint - the vinyl or fiber cement siding - it should be a natural cedar shingle. 


No comments:

Post a Comment